Manchester United forward and England international Alessia Russo has withdrawn from the Lionesses squad with an injury.
England are set to face the USA and the Czech Republic in two friendlies later this month, and Russo was expected to be in Sarina Wiegman’s starting eleven.
The nature of the injury has not been disclosed by England or United but is said to be a minor injury.
Russo missed United’s league cup tie with Aston Villa at the weekend, in which they lost in a penalty shootout.
Fans will be relieved she is not risking further injury in these international friendlies and will be hoping that she gets the rest and recovery she needs before their next league game on the 16th of October.
She will continue her treatment and rehabilitation at the club during the break.
Russo was the talk of the tournament at the Euros after scoring that audacious back-heel in the semi-final stage.
Since making her senior debut in 2020, Russo has scored ten goals in 15 appearances for the Lionesses.
With Ellen white now retired, Russo is set to become England’s new number nine and will be an integral part of Wiegman’s set-up heading into the World Cup.
It would have been interesting to see how Russo fared against the USA, who will be the ones to beat at the World Cup.
The Lionesses will face them at Wembley on Friday in front of a sell-out crowd before playing the Czech Republic next week.
Meanwhile, United’s next game is home to Brighton on October 16th.
- Get all the match build-up, articles, news, puzzles, nostalgia and humour
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- No ads, no clickbait, no fake news – just 100% pure United
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited time offer: SAVE £10 on a season pass – use discount code SEASON35 at checkout.